Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Secret lives (or the big secret everyone knows): book in the works


Ok, I think its time to start talking about it a bit more widely. I'm planning a book! A book on the biodiversity of IISc called (so far) Secret lives.

The book follows a somewhat alternative view to biodiversity. As opposed to following the idea of taxa as many do, it follows the idea of process, a more mechanistic view. It would be interesting to a wider audience I think. A few of the chapters I plan are: 'Food', 'Water', ' Sex' , 'Babies'. Its largely going to be in a coffee table format, while the text will be engaging, well researched, you won't really need it to enjoy this book. The books about photographs!

I've put up a chapter here so you can get a better idea of what it will look like. Here's what I would like you to do, please pass this on! Particularly to any IIScian / exIIScian you know, but everyone really! And please let me know what you think, I would really really appreciate the feedback! Quite a bit about this book is open, including the title, so feel free to suggest one!

Right now, I'm negotiating with IISc to publish the book for the centenary. If that doesn't work out, however, I will be looking at other publishers or maybe even Lulu. So any advice, contacts in that direction will also be very great and gratefully received.

Pass around the big secret :)

PS: For all those who have written to me, thanks. I will keep you updated on things as and when they happen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Natsha

eagerly looking forward to see your book published. I am not sure how i can help...atleast i hope to be one of the frist to buy the book whenever its availble!

Roshan

Natasha Mhatre said...

Thanks a lot Roshan,

I'll post an update when I've received something concrete about the book.

India Rocks said...

Hi Natasha
ex-IIScian. Plese publish the book. IISc needs all the branding it can get on its centenary.
Full Support
Regards,
Vibhor Tikiya.

Natasha Mhatre said...

Thanks Vibhor,
The book is almost definitely being published by IISc. IISc and I just need to dot some 'i's and cross some 't's and it'll be done.

Natasha

Anonymous said...

Hi Nats,
M actually awed by your vibrant pics of IISc flora and fauna. I'm eagerly waiting for your book. I have seen you couple of times shooting the bats under the window covers of Physics Department. If i could be of any help I am ready for the same.

Ashima
Dept. of Physics
IISc

Natasha Mhatre said...

Thanks Ashima, also for the offer to help!

robert m geraci said...

hi, i don't know whether you get notified of old comments, but i want to tell you what a gorgeous book you've produced. i'm at the IISc as a visiting researcher (social study of robotics and AI in bangalore), and i met rohini at dinner one night. she told me of your book, which i got at the bookstore today. my kids and i are captivated. wonderful work!

Natasha Mhatre said...

Thank you Robert, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope you and your family are able to see a few of the creatures that are in the book while you are on campus. I realise a lot has changed, but a lot still remains the same and as lovely.

My best